Re: How do you deal with false claims of accessibility conformance?

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 03:42:12 +0200, Patrick H. Lauke
<redux@splintered.co.uk> wrote:

> Terry Dean wrote:
>
>> Could someone please tell me how the W3C or WAI view websites that
>> claim to conform to the WAI Guidelines when clearly they do not.

> I can't obviously speak for W3C/WAI, but I'd think that they're not
> overjoyed by inaccessible sites making false/inaccurate claims...but
> then again, they have no power to do anything about it, afaik.

They could if they wanted to. They own copyright in the logos, and can
certainly write a cease-and-desist letter to anyone who uses the logo to
back their claim.

>   > How can a site claim WAI conformance to any priority level when the
> html and
>> css do not pass validation?
>>  Their claim is:
>>  "W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. All pages on the site have
>> been
>> reviewed and comply with most  priority 1 guidelines to the best of our
>> knowledge."

If they are merely claiming that they conform to "most priority 1
guidelines" [sic - I guess a pedant would notice that they are caled
checkpoints. Of course people who make our laws ought to be sufficiently
pedantic to at least notice that] then their claim may not be false
anyway. Certainly markup errors do not make a claim of conformance to
level-A (or doing most P1 things) a false claim, as Patrick pointed out
already

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com          Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com