Re: How do you deal with false claims of accessibility conformance?

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 11:23:44 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Terry Dean wrote:

> So what you are saying is that its ok
> to do this sort of thing as long as it conforms to priority 1?

I'm just answering your question with regards to their WCAG claim.  They
effectively claim level A, and I'm telling you that valid code is not a
requirement of level A. Of course there's no point in claiming that
you're using valid HTML/CSS as well, but that's another topic and not
your original question, which seemed solely concerned with the
accessibility claim (also because you asked on the WAI IG list).

Whether it makes sense to declare a doctype and say that pages validate
against HTML/CSS spec when they don't is another matter, and one that is
off topic for this particular list unless they're claiming AA or higher.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/