Re: Accesskeyus interruptus: another real-world case

From: Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:32:55 +0000
To: Alastair Campbell <ac@nomensa.com>
Cc: "John Foliot - WATS.ca" <foliot@wats.ca>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

I agree with everything you wrote, John.

On 16/02/06, Alastair Campbell <ac@nomensa.com> wrote:
> I wish I could volunteer to develop that, but I just don't have time at
> the moment. (Although if I did, I'd start with a Greasemonkey script
> that Mark Pilgrim developed...)

I wrote a Greasemonkey script that might help with that [1]. The
script displays accesskeys at the bottom of the page, and allows
people to edit them to suit their preferences. I've been using it, and
surprisingly, I've found myself starting to use accesskeys on some
websites. There is still the problem of pages that use accesskeys with
awful markup. Bugzilla is a good example of this, as they wrap a label
around form controls (not it's associated prompt). For controls like
drop-down lists, the name takes up half the page, but can be removed
quickly with Shift+Esc.

The script does most of what you mention, but doesn't disable them in
the first instance, although that would be a quick and easy amendment.

[1] http://juicystudio.com/article/greasemonkey-user-script-to-manage-access-keys.php

Best regards,

Gez

--