Re: Accesskeyus interruptus: another real-world case

On 2/16/06, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with everything you wrote, John.
>
> On 16/02/06, Alastair Campbell <ac@nomensa.com> wrote:
> > I wish I could volunteer to develop that, but I just don't have time at
> > the moment. (Although if I did, I'd start with a Greasemonkey script
> > that Mark Pilgrim developed...)

The point isn't can it be done, but if it should be done at all. From
an accessibility point of view the consistency that would be allowed
by having certain keys assigned to certain roles accross all
applications trumps the authors desire to force his access key choices
on the user. Again from an accessibility point of view.

It is incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to create a good user
experience for disparate platforms from a centralized place. One size
doesn't fit all and since you can't really know what's on the other
end, there's no point in trying to fit your solution to it; the cost
is just too great.

--

Orion Adrian