RE: Accesskeyus interruptus: another real-world case

From: Alastair Campbell <ac@nomensa.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:21:19 -0000
To: "John Foliot - WATS.ca" <foliot@wats.ca>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

John Foliot wrote:
"imagine if next generation browsers pre-shipped with this type of
functionality
(internal scripting?) out of the box.  Developers would then simply need
to declare the "hooks" and the browser would take over from there."

Perhaps a proof of concept might help?

For example, Firefox(*) extension that:
- Detects when accesskeys are used on a page.
- Disables them!
- Shows an indication that accesskeys are available (I'm thinking along
the lines of the pop-up indicator).
- Provides a (keyboard accessible) menu for setting them for this site.
- Saves that as a site-based preference.

That could help people make better use of them now, and help show how
they can best be used in future?

I wish I could volunteer to develop that, but I just don't have time at
the moment. (Although if I did, I'd start with a Greasemonkey script
that Mark Pilgrim developed...)

Kind regards,

-Alastair

* Firefox has the obvious extension mechanism, but this applies equally
for other browsers, and would be most useful/used in Internet Explorer
for the target audience.

--

Alastair Campbell   |   Director of Research & Development

Please refer to the following disclaimer for this message:
http://www.nomensa.com/email-disclaimer.html