Re: "untill user agents" retired?

David Poehlman wrote:

> How do I get a user agent to allow a person who is using screen
> magnification and is sitting on a blank space to tell that person that
> the blank space they are sitting on is infact an text input area?

The normal way: a blinking caret appears. Styling in the user agent may
also completely invert the input's colors, add a thicker (or additional
dotted) border, etc.

 > I do not understand what harm removing the "untill user agents" from
 > the guidelines as written to supply a fork for those who need the
 > functionality that they provide does to detract from progress.

Because instead of "until user agents" it should, if anything, say
"unless the user agents you're targetting don't support it".

You yourself said that this issue keeps coming up even with new user
agents. By that reasonining, the "until user agents" would never be
fulfilled, and this would detract from progress, no?

> If Noscript were used properly,
> it would be a magnificent thing for all kinds of reasons.

Rather than DOM-scripting based progressive enhancements?

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com