RE: [WebAIM] Best automated Accessibility evaluation tool

Is there a "best tool overall", or rather a (small) set of tools, each of
which is best at one part of automated testing?  I'm assuming the latter.

I ask because many well-intentioned clients are looking for such a set.
Their other criteria are reliability and ease of use.  Their goal is to
split web accessibility into two parts: automated testing performed by
relatively untrained testing technicians, and complex testing performed by
highly trained usability/accessibility engineers.  I can't fault their goal;
can you?

Given WAI's defensible "no recommendations" policy, there seems to be no
coordinated public source for good general guidance on automated tools.  At
the least, there *should* be an agreed-upon list of which guidelines can be
robo-tested, and which tools perform satisfactorily.  I can't find such a
resource; am I missing something?

Jim Tobias
Inclusive Technologies
tobias@inclusive.com