Use of the Q element for inline quotes

From: Eadie, David <D.Eadie@gcal.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:49:39 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi all,

To quote or not to quote, that is the question...

I was discussing markup for inline quotes with a colleague the other day
and the level of browser support for the Q element highlighted a problem
for accessible textual content. The browser of choice(?) for most users
(according to statistics) Internet Explorer does not enclose the content
of the Q element in quotes, while browsers such as Firefox, Mozilla and
Opera do enclose the content of the Q element in quotes.

If we are to believe the WAI guidelines then the use of the Q element
will enhance the semantic impact of the text for a non-visual user. So
should web developers use the Q element with/without quotes?

Cheers,
Dave
David Eadie
Lecturer