RE: Use of the Q element for inline quotes

From: Patrick Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:52:14 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> Léonie Watson

> Firefox Beta 1 did not supply quote marks for the quotation
> that did not have them included already.

Firefox does present the quotes *visually*, but - similar to CSS generated
content - these quotes won't be passed on to screen readers etc.

> Jaws did not identify the quotation without quote marks as a
> quotation, but read it as normal text. Jaws did identify the
> quotation with the quote marks and behaved accordingly.

Which would make me suspect that Jaws doesn't care either way about
the presence of the Q element in Firefox, and relies solely on whether or
not quote marks are present. As I don't have any access to Jaws anymore,
could you do another test with 2 quotes, both wrapped in quote marks, but
only one of them wrapped also in a Q element...and check if Jaws behaves
the same in both cases?

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford