RE: Accessibility for Deaf

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 15:37:56 +0100
To: "'John Colby'" <John.Colby@uce.ac.uk>
Cc: "'Randal Rust'" <randalrust@gmail.com>, "'WAI-IG'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

John,

> As an example, let's say that the word dumb is 'outlawed'. Do
> we then have future readers of older literature then getting
> the wrong impression when they read? Consider the Victorian
> lady in a novel (I think, but can't remember the reference -
> was quoted to me several years
> ago) - is something like:
>
> "I have been intimate with Mr *** daily and have had
> intercourse with him on several occasions"
>
> Meaning "I say hello when we meet and sometimes stop for a chat"

Yes, that's Henry James's Portrait of a Lady. It sticks in my mind because I
too remember doing a double-take when I read that line! ;)

I agree with your point John, and Randal's before. It's an odd approach to
communication to start saying that what people are allowed to say is based
on what other people want to hear. I wonder who will ultimately decide on
which words should be banned?

Regards,

Mark

Mark Birbeck