RE: Accessibility for Deaf

Just think of the word 'gay' and its correct usage and current bending -
crack, dope, hash, speed, black coffee, spin, any number of such words.
I'm with Randal on this one where we must explore both the use and
context. Remove any possible or assumes ambiguity and language suffers.

As an example, let's say that the word dumb is 'outlawed'. Do we then
have future readers of older literature then getting the wrong
impression when they read? Consider the Victorian lady in a novel (I
think, but can't remember the reference - was quoted to me several years
ago) - is something like:

"I have been intimate with Mr *** daily and have had intercourse with
him on several occasions"

Meaning "I say hello when we meet and sometimes stop for a chat"

All I'm saying, on this Friday afternoon, is that words have meaning,
but sometimes to elicit their meaning they have to be taken in context.

John

John Colby
Lecturer, Department of Computing, The Business School,
Room F328a, Feeney Building, University of Central England,
Franchise Street, Perry Barr, Birmingham B42 2SU
Tel: +44 (0) 121 331 6937
Essential Website - http://essential.tbs.uce.ac.uk