RE: Accessibility for Deaf

From: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpatrick@macromedia.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 07:46:14 -0700
To: "Randal Rust" <randalrust@gmail.com>, "WAI-IG" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> > To suggest that a word
> > should never be removed from use because it is clear, even if
> > offensive, is just incorrect in my opinion.
>
> I find that interesting, because that is not at all what I said.

You wrote: Of course, the term should be used responsibly, but to
suggest that it can be removed from context is just plain ridiculous,
especially when the context is so clear.

I see that you wrote "remove from context", not "remove from use".  I
agree that the word does have a permanent meaning in that context, but
am willing to go a step further and say that it shouldn't be used in
this context because of the negative connotations that come from the
word's origins which were based in people's ignorance of this
disability.

AWK