RE: Accessibility for Deaf

Randal,
The issue is with the etymology of the word.  The meaning is clear to
you, but the term originated because of people's assumptions.  We may be
smart enough to know what this term means in this context, but the risk
is that someone who doesn't may make incorrect assumptions that are
avoidable.

I doubt you'd find too many people who can't speak who refer to
themselves as dumb, and that should be the test. To suggest that a word
should never be removed from use because it is clear, even if offensive,
is just incorrect in my opinion.

AWK