Re: Accessible "munging" of e-mail addresses on web sites

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:13:16 +0000
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Lynn Alford wrote:

> Send mail <a
> href="mailto:lynn.alford@deletethis.gmail.com">lynn.alford@<span
> class="noshow">deletethis.</span>gmail.com</a>.
Obviously, this solution requires users who activate the mailto link to
double-check the "to" field in their email application. Heck, if I was
in a rush, I'd probably miss it...

Also, once a lot of people start doing this sort of thing, bot writers
simply need to run a regex on their harvested results.

When all is said and done, I'm still of the belief that the only two
viable, long term options are:

1) use a contact form (and don't expose the target email address
anywhere on the outside, but keep it within the server-side logic)
2) keep your email addresses clean and "un-munged", and run
spam-assassin and junk filtering at your end

Anything else will either have usability/accessibility implications, and
it's only a matter of time until bot writers update their code.

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com