Re: Accessible "munging" of e-mail addresses on web sites

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:11:53 +1030
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> When all is said and done, I'm still of the belief that the only two
> viable, long term options are:
> 1) use a contact form (and don't expose the target email address
> anywhere on the outside, but keep it within the server-side logic)

Matthew: I've done this for a few clients; it works well, it's just
that, personally, I find contact forms annoying as I like a record of
all my correspondence in the correct place, in my mail application.

Patrick: 2) keep your email addresses clean and "un-munged", and run
spam-assassin and junk filtering at your end

Matthew: My business site does just this although I've had to stop using
server-side filtering due to false-positives.  Just as well I read my
server logs.  Client-side filtering in Thunderbird seems to be working
quite well.

Patrick: Anything else will either have usability/accessibility
implications, and it's only a matter of time until bot writers update
their code.

Matthew: Very true.  Having written a "harvester" type programme myself,
to extract metadata from web pages, I can see that finding and restoring
"munged" addresses would be pretty simple.  The regex may be my friend,
but it's the spammers' friend too.

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy
South Australia