Re: Accessible "munging" of e-mail addresses on web sites

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:11:53 +1030
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> When all is said and done, I'm still of the belief that the only two
> viable, long term options are:
>
> 1) use a contact form (and don't expose the target email address
> anywhere on the outside, but keep it within the server-side logic)

Matthew: I've done this for a few clients; it works well, it's just
that, personally, I find contact forms annoying as I like a record of
all my correspondence in the correct place, in my mail application.

Patrick: 2) keep your email addresses clean and "un-munged", and run
spam-assassin and junk filtering at your end

Matthew: My business site does just this although I've had to stop using
server-side filtering due to false-positives.  Just as well I read my
server logs.  Client-side filtering in Thunderbird seems to be working
quite well.

Patrick: Anything else will either have usability/accessibility
implications, and it's only a matter of time until bot writers update
their code.

Matthew: Very true.  Having written a "harvester" type programme myself,
to extract metadata from web pages, I can see that finding and restoring
"munged" addresses would be pretty simple.  The regex may be my friend,
but it's the spammers' friend too.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy