RE: Using tables for navigation - is this acceptable?

From: Lois Wakeman <lois@lois.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:44:31 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi Julian (& HNY to you),
Have you experimented with an inline list with the list container set to
100%? I have not tried complex backgrounds myself, but imagine you could do
different colours by using IDs for each list item with some padding (I would
try a test, but have an urgent deadline today.)
Not sure where the 'dead space' would occur though if the list is smaller
than the width: could you invent another colour for that to hide it, or have
a right-aligned background image perhaps?
And, before anyone jumps on me for suggesting the latter, this is a possible
real-world solution to what the client wants, and some of us have to live in
it ;-)
Lois Wakeman
http://lois.co.uk
http://siteusability.com