Re: Using tables for navigation - is this acceptable?

From: Julian Voelcker <asp@tvw.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:58:58 GMT
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hi Lois,

HNY to you to - I hope you and the family are all well and survived Christmas.

> Have you experimented with an inline list with the list container set to
> 100%? I have not tried complex backgrounds myself, but imagine you could do
> different colours by using IDs for each list item with some padding (I would

That is what I have on the sample page I gave, but it doesn't work well
enough.

> Not sure where the 'dead space' would occur though if the list is smaller
> than the width: could you invent another colour for that to hide it, or have
> a right-aligned background image perhaps?

The dead space is to the right of the menu - I can reduce this a bit, and even
hide it by making the background the same colour as the background of the last
link, but it still makes the menu look a bit uneven.

I basically have the same issue as illustrated on
http://www.mrclay.org/web_design/tabs/ but it seems that a table is the best
solution.

Cheers,

Julian Voelcker