Using tables for navigation - is this acceptable?

From: Julian Voelcker <asp@tvw.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:46:45 GMT
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

I am trying to recreate a client's design so that is it accessible, but
am struggling with my conscious with regards using a table for laying
out some links.

I am working on the design at:
http://www.touchstone.org.uk/newdesign.html

Ideally I want the strip (multi coloured) menu along the top to stretch
to fill the width of the screen with each menu 'block' being
proportional to the text that it contains.

I have been playing around with a number of options, but the only way I
can find of doing it is by using a table.

[I have been trying to persuade the client to accept that it won't
stretch, but they would rather it did]

What would you recommend?

BTW - obviously the page still needs a lot of work doing to it to
finish off the design as well as finalise it's accessibility.

Cheers,

Julian Voelcker
Cirencester, United Kingdom