RE: Clear communication: (was RE: Re: Accessibility of "CHM" format resources)

-----Original Message-----
From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Jon Hanna
Sent: 08 June 2005 10:10
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Clear communication: (was RE: Re: Accessibility of "CHM" format resources)

Stuart Smith wrote:
> Hi John
>
> Thanks for clarifying that. I think it does reinforce the need for clear language.
>
> I hope Governments and well meaning voluntary sector bodies do rethink their current drive to adopt the Accessibility Guidelines as standards. They need the flexibility to grow and mature over time and not become immovable in bureaucracy.

IME Governments look to the technical professions to provide panaceas and magic wands. If they've already produced something and try to explain that it is neither a panacea nor a magic wand they then suspect the techies of keeping all the good magic wands to themselves.

--
Regards,
Jon Hanna

"I started to accept the mess I'm in. I know that mess spelled backwards is ssem and I felt much better armed with that information."
- Tori Amos

---Then in that case Jon isn't time we shrugged our image of being wizards? I never liked it anyway :) I think the fight is worth having to try to make sure the Guidelines don't become the be all and end all of accessibilty. The people we are trying to help deserve better.