Accessibility of "CHM" format resources

From: Barry McMullin <mcmullin@eeng.dcu.ie>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 12:59:15 +0100 (IST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
cc: mcmullin@eeng.dcu.ie

Hi All -

There have been some recent reports here in Ireland of a
concentrated attempt to market the "CHM" format (otherwise known
as "Microsoft HTML Help" format) as some sort of panacea for
accessibility of web based resources (specifically in preference
to HTML/XHTML plus CSS).  I should note that, as far as I am
aware, this marketing initiative has not been initiated by, or
even with the knowledge of, Microsoft.

In any case, in response to this I have prepared a brief note
providing "Some Comments on Accessibility of CHM Format
Resources".  It is available at the following URL:

http://eaccess.rince.ie/white-papers/2005/chm-2005/

I would greatly appreciate any reactions - or, indeed,
corrections - to this.

Many thanks,

- Barry.