Re: img::longdesc: must it be a separate page?

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 11:05:21 +0100
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Matthew Smith wrote:
> Is there any reason why longdesc (img) cannot point to an anchor within
> a page?  My thought was to have the long description at the very end of
> the page, with a link back to an anchor where the image is.
> My reasoning is to improve performance by reducing the number of GETs.

I did this once in the case of a page that had a description of a
painting in it, I gave that description an ID and made that the
longdesc. I was quite chuffed with the economy of this, but I think I
would prefer to have the extra GET in cases where the description
doesn't "naturally" appear in the first page anyway.

Jon Hanna

"All good quotes are eventually attributed to Benjamin Franklin" -
Benjamin Franklin