Re: img::longdesc: must it be a separate page?

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 11:05:21 +0100
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Matthew Smith wrote:
> Is there any reason why longdesc (img) cannot point to an anchor within
> a page?  My thought was to have the long description at the very end of
> the page, with a link back to an anchor where the image is.
>
> My reasoning is to improve performance by reducing the number of GETs.

I did this once in the case of a page that had a description of a
painting in it, I gave that description an ID and made that the
longdesc. I was quite chuffed with the economy of this, but I think I
would prefer to have the extra GET in cases where the description
doesn't "naturally" appear in the first page anyway.

--
Regards,
Jon Hanna

"All good quotes are eventually attributed to Benjamin Franklin" -
Benjamin Franklin