RE: Is an empty alt attribute ok when...

-----Original Message-----
From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of David Balch
Sent: 13 May 2005 13:11
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Is an empty alt attribute ok when...

Hi,

I'm writing a short guide describing the information that should accompany
images in content my group produces: title, caption, attribution,
alternative equivilant.

I would apprieciate feedback on the approach I've taken to alternative
equivilant content. In particular, a case where the information content of
the image is described in the image caption - is it acceptable to leave the
alt attribute empty? (See the "Covalent bonding in a molecule of water"
part.)

http://tall.conted.ox.ac.uk/testarea/david/image/ImageExamples.html

----REPLY----

Hi

I think the best way to look at is if you can to get a non-sighted to use
the page with their screen reader. Given that this will inform your
organisations policy it would seem a very worthwhile endeavour. Failing that
then try using something like Webbie [http://www.webbie.org.uk/] which
renders a web page for use with a screen reader (it's free and useful for
sighted people who want to get an idea of the non-sighted experience).

If after one or both of those tests the page seems to be making sense then I
would suggest giving the policy ago.

Cheers

Stuart