Re: Use of headings

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 01:57:51 +0100
To: WebAIM Discussion List <webaim-forum@list.webaim.org>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Janet Perkins Corbett wrote:
> Here's
> my question: do screen reader users depend much on the headings list?

Do you, as a sighted user, rely on quickly scanning a page visually by
finding the bits of text that are larger or otherwise more prominent
than the rest of the text to get an idea of structure?

Flippant answer, perhaps...but I hope it gets across that it's a yes.

> The list of links yields something like the following: focus minimize
> focus minimize focus minimize delete focus minimize delete j a dash sig
> homepage

Which of course makes no sense whatsoever. At the very least, these
links should provide some contextual information...*WHAT* am I focussing
or minimising?

Sounds like you've got your work cut out to get the portal even to basic
WAI WCAG A or Sect 508. Then again, when I hear the word SCT mentioned,
I'm not surprised...

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com