RE: Accessibility and safety-critical software

From: John Colby <John.Colby@uce.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:01:41 +0100
To: "Myhill, Carl S \(GE Energy\)" <carl.myhill@ps.ge.com>, "W3C WAI-IG" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

In the UK the main legislation about accessibility of software is the
DDA and SENDA - which says that reasonable adjustments be made. However
there are higher Acts that could prevent reasonable adjustments being
made if it adversely affects the operation of systems  - Health and
Safety being one.

If the employment of people in industries is such that no reasonable
adjustment needs to be made as in the examples below then is
accessibility an issue?

John Colby
Lecturer, Department of Computing
Room F328a, Feeney Building, University of Central England,
Franchise Street, Perry Barr, Birmingham B42 2SU