Re: Inline Style Sheet Question

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 07:05:10 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> that says: "* indicates a required field", where the * will be red.
>
> Throughout the page (and web site) the * will be next to required form
>
> elements.  I will either use the <strong> or <em> tag to format the *. =20

I think that strong or em would be appropriate for the whole field, but
not for the marker.

In a more ideal world, the * would be inserted by the style sheet and
not in the HTML at all, but reliable fall back to non CSS-2 browsers
and weak CSS-2 browsers (IE) probably makes it desirable to include it
in the HTML for the foreseeable future.

In all the above, I would include class="MandatoryInput", not just when
using span.

I would consider spanning the field with its label element, and putting
the class on that, although IE's handling of spanned label elements is
poor.