Re: What's AT What's a screen reader

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:34:03 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> David Woolley said:
>
> > (Tools like JAWS are AT, not screen readers.)
>
> I just couldn't leave it alone. What possesed you to day this?

s/day/say/

To me a screen reader reads out exactly the displayed text.  It is a
form of assistive technology, but tools like JAWS look at the underlying
document model and render from that.

A screen reader can only honour the visual media type.  More general
AT need not, but probably will, be limited to the visual media type.