Re: additional label question

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 08:33:54 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> I am wondering, could you have have:
> .hide { display: none; }
>
> And will screen readers still read that?

CSS conforming user agents will not render that in any medium.

Screen readers used on top of a CSS conforming visual browser obviously
won't read it.

Assistive technology generally doesn't aim to be conforming (hence
the reason in the other thread that it tends to act as a visual
browser for CSS when rendering to speech), but rather to try and
work best for the user in the real world.  However, I think it is
a slippery slope to deliberately mis-code pages to make them more
like bad HTML that the AT copes with (not that I'm saying that
current products override display: none, one way or the other).

(Tools like JAWS are AT, not screen readers.)