Re: Text email newsletter standard

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:52:12 +0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Matthew Smith wrote:

> I would raise a simple question:  does a newsletter belong in the email
> domain in the first place?
> Just the point of view of someone who does not like email attachments
> and regards long email circulars (like newsletters) as being just as bad.

I'd say it's about choice, about providing users with information in formats
that are in line with the way they work and their preferences. In an ideal
world, you'd give them a choice of text email, html email, newsletter on
your website, RSS feed, Atom...may be overkill, but technically not that
difficult if the source is held in a database or some easily transformable
format (XML, even XHTML)

Patrick H. Lauke