Re: Text email newsletter standard

Mike Brown wrote:
>has anyone come across, or used, the following text email newsletter
>standard:
>http://www.headstar.com/ten/

I would raise a simple question:  does a newsletter belong in the email domain
in the first place?

In my mind, the newsletter whould be written as accessible (X)HTML and posted on
the Worldwide Web.  An e-mail could be sent comprising an introductory
paragraph, a list of section titles and the URI of the online newsletter itself.

This letter would obviate the need for a new structural markup as it would
merely point to a document written with an established markup.  Looking at the
process that the W3C goes through to produce a Technical Recommendation,
creating new markup "standards" is not something to be undertaken lightly.

Please consider also the bandwidth implications of sending out longer e-mails
and the storage space available to the recipients. [I've seen the latter as a
problem in "real life"]

Just the point of view of someone who does not like email attachments and
regards long email circulars (like newsletters) as being just as bad.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
South Australia
http://www.kbc.net.au