RE: WCAG 2.0 - clarification

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 01:09:54 +0000 (UTC)
To: WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> In an expanding outline, the user can choose whether to view all the
> subtopics listed under a given heading. Commercial word processors like
> MS Word have this feature.

They've only been possible with standards-compliant code (typically nested
styled unordered lists) for two years. When WCAG was written, they were
vapourware.

> A fish-eye view is like holding a magnifying glass over a specific
> portion of the site map. That portion is enlarged; other parts of the
> outline become smaller but remain (at least theoretically) available.

This entire concept is like a unicorn: Lovely to talk about, maybe even
lovely to visualize, but nonexistent. I'm glad to see a senior member of
the WCAG Working Group coming to the defense of even the dumbest portions
of WCAG 1.

Cf. <http://www.alistapart.com/articles/saveaccessibility/#ALA2-Sitenav>.

I betcha that nothing, nothing at all, will get these taken out of the
WCAG 2 draft, meaning that, five years from now, people will still be
laughing at us.

--

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
     Expect criticism if you top-post