RE: Does 5.1 absolutely require TH?

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:02:57 -0400
To: "John M Slatin" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Cc: <tina@greytower.net>

> When taken by itself, 5.1 may not *absolutely* require use of <th> to
> identify headers in simple data tables (tables with only one row of
> column headers and one column of row headers).

This is an answer to the question I am asking!

> But together with
> Guideline 3 ("Use markup and style sheets and do so properly") I think
> that <th> *isI required, since it exists specifically to identify header
> cells.

But which Checkpoint (if not 5.1) would that be?
Besides, all of Guideline 3 is Priority 2 and (for the purposes of this inquiry) I am only concerned with Single-A.

Let me boil down 5.1 a little more:
> For data tables, use TH to identify headers.

Does this mean that headers should be *added* if they were not there to begin with?