RE: Does 5.1 absolutely require TH?

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:08:11 -0400
To: "John M Slatin" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Cc: "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>

> I'm not sure I understand.  If there is no <td> in the first
> place then presumably the <table> markup doesn't validate.

Please reference the valid code fragment in my first post on this thread.
I was just reference that most discussion on 5.1 focuses on replacing code like:
with
<th>title</th>

> Or are you asking whether it's 5.1 requires use of a data table to provide
> information such as name, phone number, office number, etc.?

Yes, this is what I am asking.

> The answer to that one is surely no -- there are lots of ways to present
> that sort of information.

Okay.  And a layout table is one acceptable (perhaps deprecated) option?

> But if you *do* use a table there has to be
> at least one <td> element in it...

But there does NOT need to be one <th> element?