RE: Does 5.1 absolutely require TH?

From: John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:00:43 -0500
To: "Bailey, Bruce" <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>, "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Does 5.1 require *adding* TH?
(Yes, I understand 5.1 requires that TH be used *in place of* TD where
appropriate, but what about the situation where there is no TD in the
first place?)

I'm not sure I understand.  If there is no <td> in the first place then
presumably the <table> markup doesn't validate.  Or are you asking
whether it's 5.1 requires use of a data table to provide information
such as name, phone number, office number, etc.?  The answer to that one
is surely no-- there are lots of ways to present that sort of
information.  But if you *do* use a table there has to be at least one