RE: [WAI-IG] Serving my page in the right language

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:32:04 +0000
To: "'wai-ig list'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> I intensely dislike it when people mess with the settings of my computer so
> I am careful not to change the settings on other people's computer if I
> "borrow" or rent one for access while traveling. So even if I had thought of
> changing the browser language I would be unlikely to do so.

I don't mind people messing with my settings if they fix them again. In the case
of cybercafes I'm paranoid about spyware (I've found password sniffers in
cybercafes before, so I always have a good poke around before I do anything).

> While auto serving the default language seems like a good idea there should
> be an easy visible method of changing the language if a site is offered in
> multiple languages. I believe that few people realize a site is offered in
> more than the default language served unless there is a visible option to
> choose another language. Preferably with the language name written in the
> language used such as English, Franšais, Espa˝ol, etc.

I agree, after all, there are sometimes reasons for wanting to look at the other

Jon Hanna
"…it has been truly said that hackers have even more words for
equipment failures than Yiddish has for obnoxious people." - jargon.txt