RE: [WAI-IG] Serving my page in the right language

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:32:04 +0000
To: "'wai-ig list'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> I intensely dislike it when people mess with the settings of my computer so
> I am careful not to change the settings on other people's computer if I
> "borrow" or rent one for access while traveling. So even if I had thought of
> changing the browser language I would be unlikely to do so.

I don't mind people messing with my settings if they fix them again. In the case
of cybercafes I'm paranoid about spyware (I've found password sniffers in
cybercafes before, so I always have a good poke around before I do anything).

> While auto serving the default language seems like a good idea there should
> be an easy visible method of changing the language if a site is offered in
> multiple languages. I believe that few people realize a site is offered in
> more than the default language served unless there is a visible option to
> choose another language. Preferably with the language name written in the
> language used such as English, Franšais, Espa˝ol, etc.

I agree, after all, there are sometimes reasons for wanting to look at the other
versions.

--
Jon Hanna
<http://www.hackcraft.net/>