RE: [WAI-IG] Serving my page in the right language

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:29:04 +0000
To: wai-ig list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> > Using the accept language header removes the need to
> > actively select the language from the great majority of
> > users at the cost of slightly reducing the ease of
> > selecting a different language for the minority.
> There is a legacy problem.  I have run into sites that
> assume "English" is there from the browser default, so
> the presense of any other language (even not in the first
> position) forces me into that language.  This might even
> be a sensible guess, though it wasn't correct for me.
> In a few cases, I even got 404s, because they didn't support
> "my" language yet, though they did support English.

That isn't a legacy problem; it was never correct behaviour.
That said, it is reasonable to return a language other than the first one listed
in some cases, if a user prefers English, but will also accept French
translation that the people behind the server don't think is a very good
translation, then it may be appropriate to serve the French version (the
quality numbers in the Accept-Language headers are intended to help with this,
unfortunately most browsers don't allow the user to get at them).

Jon Hanna
"…it has been truly said that hackers have even more words for
equipment failures than Yiddish has for obnoxious people." - jargon.txt