RE: [WAI-IG] Serving my page in the right language

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:29:04 +0000
To: wai-ig list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> > Using the accept language header removes the need to
> > actively select the language from the great majority of
> > users at the cost of slightly reducing the ease of
> > selecting a different language for the minority.
>
> There is a legacy problem.  I have run into sites that
> assume "English" is there from the browser default, so
> the presense of any other language (even not in the first
> position) forces me into that language.  This might even
> be a sensible guess, though it wasn't correct for me.
>
> In a few cases, I even got 404s, because they didn't support
> "my" language yet, though they did support English.

That isn't a legacy problem; it was never correct behaviour.
That said, it is reasonable to return a language other than the first one listed
in some cases, if a user prefers English, but will also accept French
translation that the people behind the server don't think is a very good
translation, then it may be appropriate to serve the French version (the
quality numbers in the Accept-Language headers are intended to help with this,
unfortunately most browsers don't allow the user to get at them).

--
Jon Hanna
<http://www.hackcraft.net/>