RE: [WAI-IG] Serving my page in the right language

From: Cheryl D. Wise <cdwise@wiserways.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:05:54 -0600
To: "'wai-ig list'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

I consider myself to reasonably computer savvy yet I had never considered
setting the language preference in a browser. I do know how to set it in
Windows and on my own computer that is sufficient. I travel a fair bit and
can get by in a couple of languages besides English (French, Spanish) so
that I can use a computer in Mexico or France enough to work in an internet
café but I prefer not to view websites in either of those languages where
there is an option to use English.

I intensely dislike it when people mess with the settings of my computer so
I am careful not to change the settings on other people's computer if I
"borrow" or rent one for access while traveling. So even if I had thought of
changing the browser language I would be unlikely to do so.

While auto serving the default language seems like a good idea there should
be an easy visible method of changing the language if a site is offered in
multiple languages. I believe that few people realize a site is offered in
more than the default language served unless there is a visible option to
choose another language. Preferably with the language name written in the
language used such as English, Français, Español, etc.

Relying on a visitor to have the appropriate language set in these days of
easy international travel and internet cafes is too limiting. And no, I do
not have any statistics to point you to and this is based on my personal
experience and that of people who work with me who travel internationally.
Which is why I prefer to take my own laptop or PDA and use it to access the
net instead of using internet cafes, that way I know the computer/language
I'm working in. Many people don't have that luxury.

Cheryl D. Wise
Certified Professional Web Developer
MS-MVP-FrontPage
www.wiserways.com