Re: [WAI-IG] Serving my page in the right language

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:55:01 +0000
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> I have been looking all over the net for information about the subject,
> and I have found an interesting aspect: privacy. If you specify a list
> of your preferred languages in the browser, this more or less sensitive
> information is send to all web sites you visit. Let us say you specify
> Russian, Hebrew and French. Together with other characteristics of your
> browser, such information is enough to clearly identify you. You can be
> traced, not as an anonymous surfer but as a very unique user profile all
> over the Internet.

You have a point here, however it tells people little more than clicking on a
language choice link does and it tells people considerably less than they can
generally find elsewhere.

Besides this is a reason why you might not send language information and rely on
a servers fallback, not a reason why a server shouldn't respond to a request
that clearly states it prefers French with an English page with a "Version
Franšais" link - the web's equivalent to IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ENGLISH I'LL

Jon Hanna
"…it has been truly said that hackers have even more words for
equipment failures than Yiddish has for obnoxious people." - jargon.txt