Re: [WAI-IG] Serving my page in the right language

From: Paul Davis <paul@ten-20.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:03:34 -0000
To: "Jesper Tverskov" <jesper.tverskov@mail.tele.dk>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Quote.
If you specify a list of your preferred languages in the browser, this more
or less sensitive
> information is send to all web sites you visit. Let us say you specify
> Russian, Hebrew and French. Together with other characteristics of your
> browser, such information is enough to clearly identify you. You can be
> traced, not as an anonymous surfer but as a very unique user profile all
> over the Internet.

Jesper,

Who cares?
There is no anonymous factor on the internet anyway, your ISP knows exactly
who you are and where you go but who checks??!!

People have better things to do with time than playing the voyeur.

There is a danger of getting lost in the technicalities and forgetting the
original objective. Just how far does one go before the line is drawn?

The real challenge is to design a website for the quadriplegic who is also
deaf, blind and computer illiterate. This may not be a politically correct
statement but it does highlight the problem of how far do you go!!??!! so I
make no apologies for making it

There is a pain/gain factor in a trade off for accessibility. Well sometimes
anyway. Besides how many visually challenged Hebrew/Russian/French speakers
do you know? The odds are if they have that combination of languages they
may have a smattering of English as well.

smiles
Paul Davis