Re: [OT] Re: grouping and bypassing links

From: James Craig <wai-ig@cookiecrook.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 12:57:14 -0600

Gabriel Bulfon wrote:

> thank for your help James, but why map shouldn't be there?

I guess I should rephrase that. I said "shouldn't" because my reference
says "Conventional content within the <map> tag /may/ be displayed by
the browser, <area> tags will not." To me that means conventional
content may not be displayed. But if you have a good reason for using
them, my choice of the word "shouldn't" was probably too strong. Sorry.

On closer inspection of the HTML spec, <map> elements can ONLY contain
<area> tags or block-level content. So it looks like you may want to use
a <ul> inside your <map> anyway. Have you tried validating your source?

<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#h-13.6.1>

> why this is not a question for accessibility guys?

Because this is an technical HTML problem. Although many of the
technologies overlap, I think this particular question would be better
suited for an HTML list.

Cheers,
James Craig

--