Re: [OT] Re: grouping and bypassing links

Hola Gabriel, James

Actually this is on topic, because as Gabriel pointed out this comes
from the WCAG techniques. Some years ago, some tools recognised a map
and would allow the user to just pass over it.

HTML 4 was designed so that map could contain a set of links that were
available to be an imagemap, or could be presented as a simple block of
text links. HTML 4.01 included very few changes to the DTD, but one of
them was specifically designed to make this approach work better with
existing tools - allowing groups of text links as well as map elements,
whereas it had previously insisted on one or the other.

This is probably something that should be taken up again in the
Techniques task force of the WCAG group. Development in browsers has
not really gone in that direction, and we seem to be stuck for the
moment with actually putting little links around the page instead of
having tools that help pass over a block of them.

In other words, the map element isn't incorrect, but it is less helpful
than the designers of HTML hoped, and I agree that you should have your
list of elements inside it also in a list element. For two links it is
not clear whether the extra link to skip them is worthwhile, but if you
have five or six then it is a good idea to put it there, since so few
people will be able to make use of your markup.

cheers

Chaals