Re: using absolute positioning

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:03:52 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

As far as I know, screen readers no longer look at screen positioning, but
the order in the source and/or "Document Object Model" (DOM).  Older screen
readers use to use an off screen model where they actually hooked the
graphics system and determined the text on the screen by watching the text
being sent to the display and building a model of what was on the screen so
that it could be spoken or brailled.

So a good question to ask the screen reader developers is whether absolute
positioning changes the reading order.  For IBM Home Page Reader it does
not.  Since one of the 508 and WCAG requirements is that the page still
work when style sheets are turned off, it would seem to me that using style
sheets (CSS) alone to convey the order of information is not compliant with
the guidelines.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins,  IBM Accessibility Services
http://www.ibm.com/able