RE: More scripting thoughts Pt. 2 (was RE: Accessible road maps)

From: Steven Dale <sdale@stevendale.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:32:57 -0400 (EDT)
To: <mikba@microsoft.com>
Cc: <sdale@stevendale.com>, <foliot@wats.ca>, <accessys@smart.net>, <Kurt_Mattes@bankone.com>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Mike Barta said:

>  I would disagree here.  A web page can be a document, it can just as
> easily be an application.  If we consider that page == file then the
> point is well made, but if page == URI then the browser, while being
> capable of displaying simple files, can be seen as an output device for
> whatever lives at that URI.

The key phrase here is output device, it is an interface or document for
getting or sending information.  It is not, on the client side, a program.

> As a guideline we need to recommend practices for making accessible
> experiences for both of these cases by not limiting our focus to a
> single technology, e.g. html, but to any technology used for URI
> addressable 'content'.

I think we need to make the Web accessible as a document or interface
medium.  I think we need to make networked programs (TCP/IP not HTTP) that
have user interfaces other than a browser accessible as well.

-Steve