Re: More scripting thoughts Pt. 2 (was RE: Accessible road maps)

From: Steven Dale <sdale@stevendale.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:27:14 -0400 (EDT)
To: <jim@e-media.co.uk>
Cc: <sdale@stevendale.com>, <foliot@wats.ca>, <accessys@smart.net>, <Kurt_Mattes@bankone.com>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Jim Ley said:
> "Steven Dale" <sdale@stevendale.com>
>>We are not talking about programs here, we are talking documents.  I
>> think this is the crux of the scripting problem.  A WEBPAGE IS A
> Unfortunately that is not true, HTML forms for example are not document
> orientated, and many, many webpages are not document orientated, they're
> just using a document format, Sure it's not the original purpose of the
> format, but it's what's being used.  XForms webapps etc. are some time
> away, I'm only at this minute sitting in the meeting where a WG to look
> at it might come from, but until then everyone uses HTML + etc. for
> webapps, we need to help people do it accessibly.
>> If you want networking applications, write a program.
> Sure in javascript+html
Ok what exactly is a webapp?  What program would you write using
javascript+html?  All I hear from this list is that we need it to do fancy
rollovers and dynamic menuing,  Partial page updates, form validation.
Are these webapps?  I dont think so.

Ok to firm up my point.  Have you used Instant Messaging?  That's a
networked program, not a web app.  Sure there are some web interfaces to
IM but they are interfaces not programs either.