Re: fixed font size

From: Jesper Tverskov <jesper.tverskov@mail.tele.dk>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 20:45:18 +0200
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Only die hards believe in pixels in 2004. Even Zeldman uses relative units for http://www.alistapart.com and for www.zeldman.com, at least for some of the markup making it possible for users to regulate font-size even in IE.

And Owen Briggs, originally providing arguments for the pixel fanatics, is now on the %/EM bandwagon:

"Anyhow, I played about and found you can make a nice ems stylesheet with P text at 1.0 em, and then downsize the whole thing by selecting size in BODY with %, like 76%. It's simple, easy to change, and works for everything."
http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/typography/index.html

Most pixel fanatics were nice guys just tired of EM not doing the job in IE at small font-sizes. We now know that it can be achieved by using % in BODY.

Read this great article, "Elastic Design", by Patrick Griffiths, already mentioned in an earlier email:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/elastic/

Best regards,
Jesper Tverskov