RE: portals

From: Geoff Deering <gdeering@acslink.net.au>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:31:31 +1000
To: "David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: David Woolley

The difficult area for portals or CMSs to address web standards and WAI i=

I wonder if portal here really does mean CMSed page.  My understanding
of a portal is that it a central point for reaching resources all over
the web, generally with the intent of collecting people to feed
with advertisements.

Yes, in a sense, portals and CMSs are two different things, even though
portals may be driven by CMSs.

> Anything beyond basic paragraphs with bold and italics and URLs, such as
> lists and tables are very difficult for users to build without coding HTM=
> L.

The difficulty I always have with the CMS concept is that it is really
an admission that HTML has failed to achieve one of its primary goals:
to be an authoring language that ordinary users can use directly.  In
my understanding of the original web concept, a CMSed page would reduce
to a list of links to the actual detail pages written by the information
providers.

CMSs are much more than that.  They address and manage the whole publishing
model; workflow, 3 tiered publishing (content, QA, production), etc, etc.