Re: portals

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 21:48:14 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> The difficult area for portals or CMSs to address web standards and WAI i=

I wonder if portal here really does mean CMSed page.  My understanding
of a portal is that it a central point for reaching resources all over
the web, generally with the intent of collecting people to feed
with advertisements.

> Anything beyond basic paragraphs with bold and italics and URLs, such as
> lists and tables are very difficult for users to build without coding HTM=
> L.

The difficulty I always have with the CMS concept is that it is really
an admission that HTML has failed to achieve one of its primary goals:
to be an authoring language that ordinary users can use directly.  In
my understanding of the original web concept, a CMSed page would reduce
to a list of links to the actual detail pages written by the information
providers.