Re: divs and screen readers

From: Patrick Burke <burke@ucla.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:02:33 -0700
To: Julia Collins <julia@we3.co.uk>, Lauke PH <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi Julia,

 From a very quick test with Jaws 4.5: Yes, I get the same effect of
reading across columns.

If I'm understanding the source code correctly, some of the divs are very
small, with, for example, the "text-only" & search form field having their
own sets of div tags. So the screen readers are interpreting them as
separate logical units.

I think if you had the div tags surrounding each full column of
information, then the screen readers would put the (now larger) blocks in
the right order.

Just my best-guess,

Patrick

[...]