Re: Is time running out for the without STYLE SHEET guidelines?

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:19:22 +0000 (GMT)
To: Jesper Tverskov <jesper.tverskov@mail.tele.dk>
cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Jesper Tverskov wrote:

> WAICAG, Checkpoint 6.1:
> Organize documents so they may be read without style sheets. [Priority 1]
>
> Section 508 Guidelines, 1194.22(d):
> "Documents shall be organized so they are readable without requiring an associated stylesheet"

> Is time running out for the "without style sheets" guidelines?

Most emphatically not.  The first principle of accessible contents is
that the contents be there in the first place.  If they are there, and
not deeply mangled[1], then they are accessible.

It's entirely possible that accessibility of already-accessible
contents will be *improved* by a stylesheet, and that's IMO fine.
If that's what you meant to say, then I'd reply that you may be
reading a little too much into the guidelines.

[1] for values of "not deeply mangled" approximating broadly to
    "conforming with basic accessibility guidelines".

--
Nick Kew