Kynn's Take on "Pure CSS Pulldown Menus"

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 12:21:28 -0700
To: WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Yesterday, Mike Burks of The International Center for Disability
on the Internet wrote me to ask about "pure CSS" menus, which have
been promoted on Webreference (according to Mike's email) and other
(DesignMe, Eric Meyer, evolt, Inigo Surguy, etc etc etc).  Are these
accessible, Mike asked, and if so, should he implement them on the ICDRI

I wrrote Mike a private reply, and he suggested that I make it public,
given recent discussions on the Web Accessibility Initiative's interest
group mailing list.  You can read that reply on the Maccessibility site:

In summary, however:

a) Poor usability.  (b) Poor accessibility to people with cognitive
disabilities and people with dexterity disabilities. (c) Poor
to keyboard navigation.  (d) Only reason for doing this is because the
designer can do it.

Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                     http://kynn.com
Chief Technologist, Idyll Mountain                http://idyllmtn.com
Author, CSS in 24 Hours                       http://cssin24hours.com