Accessible Dynamic Menus (was: Re: [w3c-wai-ig] <none>)

From: James Craig <work@cookiecrook.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 13:25:48 -0500
To: "Dwight H. Barbour" <dbs@dbsolutions.net>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
CC: tagi11@cox.net, hy@miplet.com

Dwight H. Barbour wrote:
> No Java, But it uses JavaScript.
> Tested in Opera without JavaScript turned on and the menus do not work.
> On Tue, 27 May 2003 19:17:47 -0500, "Section 508.US" <tagi11@cox.net>
> said:

Alright, I get a chance to defend my own creation. First of all, what
version of Opera are you using? Some implementations of that browser
(Opera 5 and 6, specifically) are quite lacking in DOM compliancy but
the menus work just fine in Opera 7 for Windows.

Also, the menus are designed for a site where accessing any of the top
links will access a page that has all the sub-level links as the content
of the page. Try the same files on one of the site servers. Access the
top-level links (With or without JavaScript) and you'll see what I mean.

I set these up to not be reliant on either CSS or JavaScript. Without
CSS, you get a full set of nested unordered lists. Without JavaScript
(or with a sub-standard browser like Opera 6 or Netscape 4), you can
still access the top-level links and get to the sub-level content from
those pages.

There are still a few accessibility features yet to be implemented. For
example, a "skip nav" link will be used, and perhaps some accesskey
attributes for the top-level links. I also plan to add a "close
sub-menu" feature that will be explained on the accessibility page of
that site if these menus ever go live.

I intend to have an explanation page documenting all this when I finish
them, but I'm not quite there yet. Please let me know if you have any
more feedback on the example listed.

James Craig